Hard Facts About Fake IDs
Going out to clubs and bars is a past time for many college-aged students across the nation. These outings can be fun for social opportunities with friends and to connect with other students from the institution. However, what has become a common issue is the use of fake IDs. The FSU Police Department made over 30 arrests for fraudulent IDs in the first two months of Fall 2021. To keep these numbers from growing, we are having some serious conversations with students about the problem and we are also asking for family members to help us bring awareness to the consequences of these incidents.
Below you will find some facts and figures gathered from FSU Police regarding consequences for students:
- Individuals who are arrested by FSU Police are transported to the Leon County Detention Facility.
- Consequences of possessing a fraudulent driver’s license include a third-degree felony (up to 5 years in prison) and a $5,000 fine.
- There are hefty costs associated with legal representation. Attorney fees typically cost between $2,500 and $7,500, plus court costs.
- You risk the possibility of identity theft when you order a fake ID and provide personal information online.
Some talking points you can cover with you student around the issue of fake IDs are:
- What role has alcohol played in your college experience so far?
- Do you believe that you have to consume alcohol to have a good time?
- Have you thought about purchasing a fake ID?
- What will you do if you find out a friend is using a fake ID?
The FSU Division of Student Affairs and FSU Police Department have teamed up on an awareness campaign focused on the consequences students may face if they purchase and/or use a fake ID. Our hope is that with this knowledge, our students will make good decisions for themselves. We appreciate your support!
If you have any questions or need support addressing this topic with you student, please contact FSU Police at (850) 644-1234.