Housing Accommodations

Florida State University (FSU) provides housing accommodations for students with a documented qualifying medical, physical or psychological disability on a case-by-case basis. To be considered for a housing accommodation, you must register with the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS).


Deadlines for applying for housing accommodations are as follows:

Summer A/C: April 1
Summer B: May 1
Returning residents: December 1
New residents: May 1
Spring: November 1

The entire housing accommodation process must be completed before the priority deadline. This process includes submission of your application, supporting documentation, and an intake meeting with an Accessibility Specialist. After these dates, applications are accepted, but FSU cannot guarantee your housing accommodation request can be met. Even with proper documentation the accommodation request is subject to room availability. Additionally, you must have and maintain a valid housing contract with University Housing in order to receive your approved housing accommodations.

Note: Starting Fall 2023, regarding Emotional Support Animals (ESAs): Requests made and approved before residence hall opening may be approved to begin at the start of that term. Requests made and approved after residence hall opening will be reviewed to begin at the start of the next term for which the student is contracted to live on campus.

There are two steps to registering with the OAS:

  1. Complete an Application for Services located at dsst.fsu.edu/oas/students/applying-for-services/
  2. Submit appropriate documentation of your disability with the application.

Documentation Requirements

Documentation must:

  • Be in the form of a letter or report from a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist or other medical provider who is qualified to make the diagnosis and is currently treating you for the disability for which you are requesting a housing accommodation. For example, a psychiatrist would not be an appropriate clinician to provide documentation for a gastrointestinal condition.
  • The documentation must be on official letterhead and should be signed and dated within the last two years.
  • Include a specific diagnosis, a statement of your current condition, the date and a summary of your most recent evaluation, and the expected duration of your condition.
  • State the current impact of (or functional limitations) imposed by the condition on your living situation.
  • Explain how the condition relates to your request for a Housing accommodation. There must be a direct link established between the condition and your requested housing accommodation.
  • Clearly state a specific housing accommodation recommendation as a result of the condition.
  • Include possible alternatives if the requested accommodation is not available.
  • Provide evidence the provider is currently treating you for the condition for which the accommodation is requested.

It may take one to two weeks for your Application for Support Services to be processed, even with adequate documentation. If the documentation submitted is inadequate, the processing time will increase.

Examples of disabilities that may qualify for a housing accommodation:

  • Physical impairments requiring a wheelchair and/or adaptive equipment
  • Medical conditions requiring extensive medical equipment and supplies
  • Visual impairments
  • Severe medical conditions

Application Review

Once you submit your application and documentation, they will be reviewed by the OAS. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Documentation requirements are firm and are not flexible, so you will be notified if any documentation is missing. If the documentation meets the requirements, you will be contacted for an intake appointment to discuss your housing request and possible academic accommodations.

Housing Assignment

If your housing request is approved, OAS will write a letter to University Housing specifying a housing recommendation. University Housing will then determine a specific room assignment for you. You will need to complete a housing contract for each Fall/Spring and Summer that you intend to live on campus, and you must complete the contract during each contracting period as published by University Housing. However, your accommodation will remain on file for as long as you live on campus, you will not need to reapply for an approved housing accommodation.  Your room assignment may change from year to year. OAS has no influence on a specific room or residence hall assignment. University Housing should be contacted with questions or concerns about your room assignment and/or your housing contract. OAS cannot assist you with these matters.

FSU is unable to:

  • Provide a low distraction living environment accommodation based solely on a diagnosis of ADHD or a learning disability.
  • Honor housing accommodation requests for a specific room assignment, residence hall assignment, or roommate assignment.
  • Provide a dust, mold, or allergen-free housing accommodation.

Service animals do not need to be registered with OAS; however, you may be eligible for academic accommodations if you use a service animal. If you would like to request academic accommodations, please follow the application procedure explained above.

Emotional Support Animals

Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) are not considered service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act.These support animals provide companionship, relieve loneliness, and sometimes help with psychiatric disabilities and mental impairments, such as depression, anxiety, and certain phobias; however, unlike service animals, ESAs do not have special training to perform specific tasks to assist people with disabilities.

ESAs only pertain to a student’s dwelling and may not be taken to class.  If you would like to request an ESA accommodation, you must register with the OAS and follow the application procedure explained above. Please refer to the Emotional Support Animals process for more details about ESAs and the OAS application process.