Note-taking assistance for traditional, in person classes:
If you have note-taking assistance as an accommodation, unless an exception is noted, you must attend class and be attentive. You do not have the right to copies of notes from a class for which you were absent, unless an exception is noted. PowerPoint slides fill in the blank note packets, and smart pens are approved supplemental note-taking accommodations. Please remember, these are supplemental notes and you are required to still take your own notes.
Note-taking for online classes:
If a lecture video is posted on Canvas, there will automatically be transcripts available, via Kaltura. Transcripts are an approved supplemental note-taking accommodation. Note-taking will only be necessary for online classes with live, synchronous lectures in which transcripts are not provided. If PowerPoints are provided for the live lecture, they are considered an approved supplemental notetaking accommodation. If you did not watch the live lecture at the time allotted, you do not have the right to copies of notes, unless an exception is noted. Note-taking for online courses is only for lecture videos; it is your responsibility to complete the required readings without supplemental notes.
You are responsible for contacting our office if one of the following occurs:
- Your professor has not made an announcement to try and recruit a notetaker, within one week of receiving your faculty notification letter.
- Your professor has made an announcement in order to recruit a notetaker, and you have not been assigned a notetaker by the third week of class.
- You were assigned a notetaker, but notes are not uploaded within 48 hours of each lecture
If your accommodations include having note–takers, please follow these steps:
- Ask the instructor/professor to make an anonymous announcement in class. Instructions are provided on the faculty letter.
- You will receive a notification email from the OAS letting you know when a note-taker has been assigned to your class.
- Once you have a note–taker, follow these steps to access the notes:
- Go to the OAS student portal at: https://whitney.accessiblelearning.com/fsu and log in with your FSU ID and password.
- Now you’re on the ‘Welcome Page’, click on ‘Notetaking Services’ under ‘My Accommodations’.
- Now you’re on the Online Notes System.
- Select ‘Available Notes for Download’ under the course you would like to access the notes for.
- Select ‘Download Note’ and your notes will download to your computer.
If you would like to become a note-taker, please follow these steps:
- og in with your FSU ID and password to create an account in the Accessible Information Management Portal (AIM): https://whitney.accessiblelearning.com/FSU/applicationnotetaker.aspx.
- Enter in your EMPLID and select ‘continue to step 2’. You will then enter in additional personal information.
- Next, you will need to select ‘Notetaker’ at the top of the page to request an assignment.
- You will then enter in your Course Registration Number (CRN) for the class you would like to take notes for. You can find this number by searching for it in AIM with your course code, or in student central where your “course number” is listed when viewing your class schedule.
- You will then verify your class and submit your class schedule.
- Within 24-48 business hours you will receive an email for you to confirm your assignment.
- You may then log in and upload your notes
If you have any questions or need assistance please contact:
Natalie Jones, Accessibility Services Specialist